WHAT IS ISO 45001?
An Occupational Health and Safety Management System (OHSMS) is an essential segment of an organization’s risk management strategy. ISO 45001:2018 sets the stage for the best practices for an OHSMS. It assists organizations in initiating, putting into effect, and managing practical health and safety systems.
ISO 45001:2018 is a set of rules, policies, processes, plans, practices and direction for its use, thereby facilitating organizations to ensure safe and healthy workplaces. It places a strong focus on documenting, assessing and addressing all potential risks, hazards and processes them into account
ISO 45001:2018 was published in March 2018. This standard is based on the earlier OHSAS 18001 and replaces it. All organizations presently having OHSAS 18001 certification are mandated to transit and be certified with ISO 45001 within a period of 3 years, ending in 11th September 2021.
WHY IS ISO 45001 NECESSARY?
- As stated by the International Labor Organization, more than seven thousand labors die from work related accidents and disorders every single day. This led to the establishment of an International Standard by ISO with the objective of combating this problem and saving as many lives as possible.
- The goal of ISO 45001 is to drive down incidents of occupational injuries and illness, along with protecting and supporting physical and mental health.
- An effectual occupational health and safety management system will enable you to protect your greatest asset, i.e your people.
- ISO 45001:2018 is designed in such a way that the workers themselves are allowed to report and recommend areas of improvement without having to fear dismissal. The organization has to urge workers at all levels to report hazardous conditions, so that preventive measures can be implemented and remedial steps taken.
WHO CAN OBTAIN ISO 45001 CERTIFICATION?
- ISO 45001:2018 is intended for organizations that seek to establish, implement and maintain a safety management system to eliminate hazards.
- ISO 45001:2018 is suitable to any organization regardless of its size, kind, nature, sector or activities.
- It is a great framework to employ in your company to build organizational stability.
This standard is flexible and can suit a wide range of organizations
- 1. Large entreprises
- 2. Small and medium-sized enterprises
- 3. Public and not-for-profit organizations
- 4. Non-government organizations (NGOs) and charities
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF ISO 45001 CERTIFICATION?
- Reduction of workplace accidents/incidents
- Minimization of absenteeism, resulting in boosted productivity.
- Employing ISO 45001:2018 in your company demonstrates compliance with health and safety law to meet legal requirements.
- The ISO 45001:2018 standard requires the top management to contribute to the effectiveness of OHSMS by directing, leading, supporting and communicating with workers, thus promoting organizational culture and leadership.
- Improved staff morale
One of the biggest advantages of employing ISO 45001 is the strengthening of your company’s public image. It shows that your company belongs among the businesses who care for its workers and creates a sustainable workplace.
Along with the good public reputation, reduced accidents will help you to obtain insurance at a more reasonable cost. This betterment in cost control is a boon that can't be overlooked while one makes the decision to implement an Operational Risk Management System.