WHAT IS ISO 22000?
ISO 22000:2018 is a global standard for food safety management that entails any business directly or indirectly involved in the food sector to detect risks and handle them efficiently at every stage. It is an organized and rational approach in dealing with the challenges of food safety. ISO 22000:2018 insists companies to plan, execute and control a food safety management system that ensures that products are safe to consume.
Since 2018, ISO 22000 is in transition to a new version and the last date to get the latest certification is 29th December 2021. How food is produced, manufactured, transported, and even consumed is changed continuously. The updated version considers these changes and assists businesses in minimizing food safety hazards.
WHY IS ISO 22000 NECESSARY?
The consequences of contaminated food are serious. The food industry throughout the world is going through a lot of challenges regarding food safety. Getting an ISO 22000 certification helps companies identify and control food hazards at every process. Food safety is tied to the existence of food-borne contaminants in food during consumption. As food safety hazards can happen at any phase, it is necessary that sufficient control be in place. The leading food industries all over the world know very well that safety is foundational to success.
WHO CAN OBTAIN ISO 22000 CERTIFICATION?
ISO 22000 certification applies to any company in the field of food industry [food supply chain].
- Agricultural producers
- Manufacturers of equipment, packaging materials, cleaning agents, additives, ingredients, etc.,
- Storage and transport operators
- Warehousing and distributors
- Service providers
- Food outlets/catering
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF ISO 22000 CERTIFICATION?
Sticking to the ISO 22000 standard introduces internationally accepted processes to your company. It will give distributors and stakeholders trust in your brand. ISO 22000:2018 is respected even by governments and food safety professionals worldwide.
This certification's farm-to-fork approach supports effective internal and external communication, reliable practices and trust building among other food industry players, which sets the groundwork for effective hazard & risk control. The apparent benefits of ISO 22000:2018 are plentiful, but the most remarkable ones are:
- Detect and diminish food safety hazards by possessing risk-based thinking across your company
- To minimize the risks of consumer's exposure to unsafe food
- More efficient food safety hazard control
- Improved management and communication
- Assurances on quality, reliability and safety
- Decrease costs
- Improved reputation and brand loyalty
- Less food borne diseases
- Better utilization of resources by reducing duplication
- Valid basis for taking decisions
- Better planning, less post-process verification
- Introduce transparency around accountability and responsibilities
- Cuts investigation time to a minimum
- Demonstrates your ongoing commitment to food safety
Professional auditors at ISO Certification Hub, Coimbatore. can be sought to assure that your products will be manufactured, packed and certified to the highest standards of food safety.